Monday, August 3, 2009

Today is the first day...

Blah, blah, blah. Seriously, if today is the first day of the rest of my life I want my old life back.  The prospect of endless days filled by ninety minutes in the Ford dealership lounge in the morning and another hour plus at the DMV in the afternoon is not the sort of thing that makes me jump out of bed.  But now the car/truck/SUV is ready for the trip (except for new tires on Wednesday), so it was worth it. 

 

The funny thing is, in some respects a new chapter of my life starts this week.  Friday was my last day at work, and my business partner Pete took me out for my “retirement dinner”, a label that would be creepy if it wasn’t so funny.  I don’t think I’m retiring, just making a mid-course correction.  But they don’t make “Congratulations on your mid-course correction” cards, so we called it a retirement dinner and had a good time.  But I don’t think of this week as a new beginning – it’s more of an intermission.  But a really fun one!

 

So, was today the first day of the rest of my life?  Sure, aren’t they all?  The beauty of that cliché is that you can keep using it till you get it right.  And I hope that is the case in a little over five weeks, when I will trot it out again after the commitment liturgy.  Till then I plan to avoid the DMV, just to be safe.

 

The exciting news is that I’m four days from launching my leg of the journey, and five days from meeting up with Paul in Chicago!  Woohoo!  

2 comments: