Friday, August 28, 2009

Random Stuff, Volume 2

·      We just surpassed 6,000 miles driven on the trip so far. 

·      Four Corners was a quick diversion.  We did the typical “stand in four states” thing and waited in line to take the requisite picture.  Then we drove the GOLF Cart all the way around the monument so we could legitimately claim it’s been in Utah.  Sweet!

·      The Navajo have something called “fry bread”.  If the Navajo were Amish they would call it Funnel Cake.  We approve.

·      We continue to pray rosaries each day with your intentions and ours.  Most recent rosaries have been for personal intentions.  We also continue to pray for the Youth Apostles and Women Youth Apostles communities, the CLCs we serve, for our families and the families we’ve been blessed to stay with, and for vocations.  Please let us know if you have an intention you’d like us to pray for.

·      I love buttes!  I realized driving through Arizona yesterday that they are one of my favorite landscape features, probably because there’s nothing like them on the east coast. I have way too many windshield shots of buttes, and continue to snap them when I see them!  And so far New Mexico has not disappointed.

·      The scenery in northern Arizona is dramatic and spectacular: first red cliffs and buttes, crazy cliffs and rock formations, then everything is yellow for a while.  Flat as a pancake, then incredible formations pop up out of nowhere. The desert is remarkable in the variety of textures and colors and shapes in the landscape.  It’s like nowhere else I’ve been and I understand why people are so captivated by this area.

·      Having said that, I will be very happy to get back to the eastern half of the country and see green again!  I’m craving me some deciduous trees!  Oh, and some shade would be awesome!

·      Beautiful scenery aside, I’m not sure how any one lives in northern Arizona.  We drove for nearly an hour today with nothing around us but red rock – no topsoil, so no plants, bushes, or trees.

·      I love air conditioning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment