Saturday, August 8, 2009

The road to South Bend

It was a great drive today.  The weather through Pennsylvania was beautiful and reminded me why I still love my home state so much – the blue and white sky contrasted perfectly with the green fields and red barns.  It was also cool to see the small wind farm in western PA.  Turbines are such beautiful machines – huge, but so graceful.  I hope we see larger wind farms as we head west.  The weather started to cloud up in Ohio, and by Indiana there was a light rain.  It was a great chance to test out the new tires and wipers, which worked perfectly!  (How’s that for making lemonade out of lemons?)  Strangest thing I saw:  a billboard in PA that read, “Our Land. Our Cows. Our Passion.”  I’m sure the PA Dairy Association has good intentions, but I think that slogan should have gone through a few more rounds of editing.  Best surprise: EZ Pass is accepted in Pennsylvania and Indiana!

I arrived in South Bend around 7pm.  John and I had a great dinner downtown at The Fiddler’s Hearth, an Irish restaurant.  I’ll leave the restaurant reviews to Paul, but I thought the food was great.  John is a wonderful host and we had a nice visit, though it was too brief. Unfortunately John’s wife and kids were away visiting her parents, so I didn’t get to hang out with them.  John and I had a great time, though, and I promise to visit again when the whole clan is home!

Saturday morning we toured Notre Dame, which is beautiful.  John is a remarkable tour guy, with an astounding knowledge of university history, architecture, and all sorts of other cool stuff.  First, though, we took a quick trip to Michigan.  I can’t remember if I’ve been to Michigan before, except for a layover in Detroit about ten years ago.  Wally’s wife says airports don’t count, so John drove me across the border and back again.  Check Michigan off the list!

Total Miles:  598

Average MPG:  31.2

Rosary Intention:  Benjamin Michael Baas, born today to Steph and Mike Baas (Chip’s nephew).  Welcome Benjamin!  We'll see you in September!

No comments:

Post a Comment