Friday, August 28, 2009

Somewhere in Arizona

We just caught our last glance of the Grand Canyon and we’re heading northeast towards the Four Corners.  We have several long drives left in the last week of our trip, and today is one of the longest.  After we stand simultaneously in four different states for a moment and take a few pictures we’ll drive east to Los Alamos. 

The weather is beautiful again this morning (we’re in the desert, so I guess that’s not unusual, but it’s been so long since we’ve seen rain that I think we’ve got dirt on the GOLF cart from Iowa).  Last night we left the fly off the tent so we could see the stars.  It was awesome!  I was walking through the campground this morning and saw an 8-point buck munching on some bushes about 20 yards from a tent.  Pretty cool stuff.

I have a confession to make: I have no idea what time it is.  After the second week of the trip I had a tough time telling you what day it was, but I could still tell time.  Now I’ve lost that, too.  See, we thought Arizona was in the Mountain time zone, but all the clocks suggest they are on Pacific time.  It’s probably just a daylight savings anomaly, but the effects of going through four time zones in two weeks are taking a toll on my brain!

In the past three days we’ve visited Yosemite, Death Valley, and the Grand Canyon.  That’s a lot to absorb in a short amount of time, and I think Paul and I have run out of adjectives to try to describe what we’ve seen. 

We’ve been so fortunate to see so many of the wonders of our land.  And yet in some ways this last week of our trip is the one I’ve been looking forward to the most because we’re going to see so many great friends and have a chance to visit our families on the way home.  I can’t think of a better way to wrap up this trip than to share it with friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment