Saturday, August 15, 2009

Cody, WY

I love small towns.  People are so friendly and unpretentious.  I went for a brief run this morning (very brief – I’m choosing to blame the altitude) and folks were making eye contact and even saying good morning – from across the street!  In Northern Virginia sometimes the other runners won’t even look at you.  I have to remind myself to let my guard down a little around here so I don’t offend anyone.

My quest for a haircut continues.  I really thought today would be the day (this started before I left Virginia, and has been continuing unabated across the country).  Three cool little barbershops within a few blocks of the hotel.  Two don’t even bother opening on Saturday or Sunday, and the third posts Saturday hours but a post-it note on the window indicated she had to go out of town for a funeral this weekend and would be back Tuesday.  This is the kind of town where a post-it note does the trick.  The search for a barber yielded pleasant conversations with the guys in the fishing shop (actually Cody appears to have about a dozen fishing shops – it’s a big deal here) and the ladies at the coffee shop.  Things could be worse.

We’re a little nervous about the weather today and tonight.  It was 55 degrees in Cody this morning and overcast.  Up in Yellowstone it’s bound to be cooler, and there’s a chance of showers today and tonight.  There’s a good chance we’re looking at a cold, wet night in the tent tonight.  Just another adventure, right!  Fortunately I have long hair to keep me warm.  Pity Paul, who’s well trimmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment