Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Leaving on a Jet Plane

As I'm sitting here in the BWI terminal staring at the plane I'm about to board to Birmingham it is beginning to set in that I really am doing this whole thing. Up until now it has seemed fairly surreal that I'm actually going to be traveling the country for the next six weeks and I'm excited for what is to come. I can't really thank God enough for all the blessings in my life and the blessings that have just popped up right in front of me to get this trip going and keep it going. I've spent the last week moving into the Youth Apostle house in McLean and saying goodbye to family and friends for a while. Sunday I spent the day with my family to celebrate my parents 40th Anniversary and take some time to reflect on how their marriage has multiplied God's love in so many ways. That evening I went back by the townhouse in Woodbridge where I've been living for this past year with some brothers in community. We spent the majority of the time down in the man cave New Jersey style with our shirts off, chains still on, watching TV, and staying hydrated (ok only Ben was kicking it Jersey style, but the rest of us envied him even if we were teasing him about it). I'm really going to miss living with those guys, I had a great time this past year with them and it was a sad day to pack up my things and go, but I'm also excited for my new digs and working situation once that gets going. I'll be at George Mason University's Catholic Campus Ministry part time getting to minister with a few other brothers, which is also exciting. (This is where my entry ended b/c I had to board the plane but read below for notes on day 1)

Day 1 (Monday July 27) notes:

First time flying Southwest airline and I never realized they don't assign you seats so when I was the 2nd to last person to board the plane there weren't a whole lot of seats. In fact it was me and another very friendly gentleman who were looking to grab seats in the front and I sat down and he begins to joke with me that he would really like to sit where I'm at but he's also doing iny mini miny mo with a couple other open seats. Then the lady sitting next to me grabs my arm and tells me that if I give him my seat she will punch me, so I politely decline the invitation and just sit there wondering what I got myself into.

Birmingham Airport smells like BBQ (mmmm!)

Hosts: Martha and Tom

Tour of Tuscaloosa:

  • uva style architecture but with a "manly" football stadium (it would be sad to give alabama their first loss of the season in such a perdy stadium) (I did in fact like the looks of the stadium)
  • sprawling town with a college feel near the campus and pockets of southern charm
  • North Port: one street area in Tuscaloosa, very quaint and comes out of no where with a cool "stand by me" wooden train bridge and piers

BBQ Joint: Dreamland BBQ

  • Free Sliced White Bread served with the house BBQ sauce (sounds weird but it was tasty)
  • Awesome Sweet Tea
  • Pretty good ribs and chopped pork sandwiches
  • Tasty Sausage
  • "No Farting" neon sign above the bar (just to remind you that you're in a fine southern establishment)
  • Friendly service and very attentive (I think Tom must have had 8 or 9 cokes and he was drinking them just to be polite and not waste, he then learned to ask for a to-go cup)

2 comments:

  1. I hope you have an amazing trip, Paul! We miss you already! I am looking forward to reading about your travels, although I think I am going to have to read it with a snack on hand. Now I want BBQ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love Dreamland!!! I hope that you are having a wonderful time!!! :)

    ReplyDelete